Making a Difference
in Our Client’s Lives

Who Can File Wrongful Death Claims

In Colorado, only immediate family members have the right to file a lawsuit. An immediate family member is considered a spouse, child or dependent. If your loved one died due to a wrongful or accidental death, we can file wrongful death claims in Denver on your behalf.

When a wrongful death occurs, you may not think of filing a lawsuit right away. You may be in a state of shock, or feel no amount of money could ever compensate you for your loss. Although money cannot return your loved one, or life the way it was before their death, it can help with your family’s present and future expenses, and provide you with financial security.

Where A Lawsuit Can Help

Wrongful death surviving members can file a lawsuit for damages that include:

  • Loss of past and future earnings
  • Loss of love, affection and companionship
  • Medical and funeral expenses
  • Mental anguish and grief
  • General damages
  • Pain and suffering your loved one endured prior to their death

The immediate family of the deceased has two years in which to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If a remaining family member is under 18, the court may appoint a guardian on their behalf.

You may be thinking you can’t file a lawsuit if your spouse was unemployed. That’s not the case. You are certainly entitled to file a wrongful death claim if your spouse stayed at home.

Filing a wrongful death lawsuit takes time, expertise and knowledge of wrongful death law in Denver and Colorado. Our firm focuses on achieving large monetary awards for the immediate family. Contact Purvis Thomson, LLP, at 303-442-3366 or email us online.